German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation (BfN)

Mainmenu



Predessors of the present Federal Agency for Nature Conservation


History - Photo: M.B. / pixelio.de - The Drachenfels near Bonn – close to BfN – is one of Germany’s first nature conservation areas.

HISTORY - OVER 100 YEARS OF NATURE CONSERVATION

 
 
1906
Establishment of the State Agency for Natural Heritage Preservation in Danzig (present-day Gdansk) - the beginning of official nature conservation in Prussia.

 
 
1935
Establishment of the Reich Agency for Nature Conservation (later placed under the Reich Forestry Office)
.
 

 
 
1945
Establishment of the Central Office for Nature Conservation (from 1949 onwards the Central Office for Nature Conservation and Landscape Management) in Egestorf.

 
 
1952
Establishment of the Federal Institute for Nature Conservation and Landscape Management in Bonn.

 
 
1962
Reorganisation to form the Federal Centre for Vegetation Ecology, Nature Conservation and Landscape Management (BAVNL). Integration of the Federal Institute for Vegetation Cartography, established 1950.

 
 
1975
Renamed into Federal Research Centre for Nature Conservation and Landscape Ecology (BFANL).

 
 
1990
Integration of former GDR institutions such as the Institute for Landscape Research and Nature Conservation (Dölzig branch); Establishment of the International Nature Conservation Academy (Island of Vilm).

 
 
1993
Establishment of the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation. Integration of parts of the Federal Agency for Food and Forestry and part of the Federal Agency for Commerce.

 
 
2006
Anniversary: 100 years of nature conservation as a state responsibility.

Logo BfN - 100 years BfN

Over 100 years of nature conservation

Seat of the former Reich Agency for Nature Conservation in Berlin’s Schöneberg district (1910-1940).
Drawing of former Reich Agency for Nature Conservation - front View
Eine Natur - eine Welt - Unsere Zukunft | UN-Naturschutzkonferenz Bonn 2008
Map of the world

Last Change: 01/01/2010

 Print