Opens an external page Link to the homepage

Bundesamt für Naturschutz

History

Over 100 years of nature.
1906

Establishment of the State Agency for Natural Heritage Preservation in Danzig (present-day Gdansk) - the beginning of official nature conservation in Prussia.

1935 Establishment of the Reich Agency for Nature Conservation (later placed under the Reich Forestry Office)
1945 Establishment of the Central Office for Nature Conservation (from 1949 onwards the Central Office for Nature Conservation and Landscape Management) in Egestorf.
1952 Establishment of the Federal Institute for Nature Conservation and Landscape Management in Bonn.
1962 Reorganisation to form the Federal Centre for Vegetation Ecology, Nature Conservation and Landscape Management (BAVNL). Integration of the Federal Institute for Vegetation Cartography, established 1950.
1976 Renamed into Federal Research Centre for Nature Conservation and Landscape Ecology (BFANL).
1990 Integration of former GDR institutions such as the Institute for Landscape Research and Nature Conservation (Dölzig branch); Establishment of the International Nature Conservation Academy (Island of Vilm).
1993 Establishment of the German Federal Agency for Nature Conservation. Integration of parts of the Federal Agency for Food and Forestry and part of the Federal Agency for Commerce. Appointment of Prof. Dr. Martin Uppenbrink as the first BfN President.
1999 Appointment of Prof. Dr. Hartmut Vogtmann as BfN President.
2006 Anniversary: 100 years of nature conservation as a state responsibility.
2007 Inauguration of BfN President Prof. Dr. Beate Jessel. 
2016 Establishment of a separate directorate for marine nature conservation on the Isle of Vilm.
2020 Establishment of the National Biodiversity Monitoring Center.
2021 Sabine Riewenherm is appointed President of the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation at the suggestion of Federal Environment Minister Svenja Schulze.

 

To the top